Sunday, 22 March 2015

Moving on from theft!

It has become common in Nairobi for someone to walk into your house and carry your things out as though they belonged to them in the first place! Beyond the robbery is violation of property, however if this is a story from someone it doesn't make sense until it happens to you.
A few nights ago I walked into my living room to find an empty space where my television used to stand. I am lucky they only took one item, rather 3 item, they had enough time to grab the remote and my hard drive LOL! I found that very funny since they were doing this in the middle of the day, they did not fear being caught while they looked for the remote control. To be fair how would they sell the TV without its remote?
OF all the things, the theft didn’t pain me as much as much as the violation of my privacy did, what also upset me was that our guard 'didn't know these people' and he left them walk out with such an item without consulting the owner. The security firm and my landlord tried to put the blame on me to avoid paying for the security guard’s incompetence. I have never been so angry at people for no taking responsibility. I genuinely don’t expect them to pay me back, the least they can do is accept that they were on the wrong.  If the guard isn't to blame then what’s the point of having him there, they could as well leave the gate open and anyone can walk in and out as they please.
Losing something you had no plan of buying for many years to come is painful and takes some time to come to terms with it, the only thing keeping  me going is that I will not die without it and my God shall supply another one J.
Now when someone tells me they lost their staff, I feel their pain. Only yesterday a friend told me she lost all her electronics to again in Nairobi, someone broke in while she was at work. I was able to relate and encourage her, because now I know what it feels like.
The TV stand looks so bare, as though it misses the TV too! But it’s time to move on and let go , the last thing I wanted was to involve the authorities  and spend the next few months sucking up to them so that  they help  me, only to one day tell they couldn't trace the items.  Right now insuring my house items makes so much sense, how foolish I was thinking these things only happen to other people  :D !

645287


2 comments:

  1. So sorry! It is quite a violation. But karma is still in action. No 'good' deep goes unpunished! For both the thugs and whoever will buy the stolen goods . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you were able to move on from the experience. An encouragement not to get attached to material possessions. and yes siku za mwizi ni arobainne

    ReplyDelete