Sunday, 22 March 2015

Lecturer treating Univeristy students like nursery children

I recently went back to school for my university degree after 10 years of waiting since I finished high school.  It has been a long wait, hoping every year that I can finally afford to pay my own fees. After waiting so long I am there to savor every minute of the next 3 years.  Thankfully in private university you can finish the degree in a shorter time frame. The last thing I expected was a lecturer that needs students to behave like they are kindergarten, not that I know how kindergarten kids behave since I went to a nursery school. Whatever the difference of the two is I have no clue!

Being my first semester I have been very excited and eager to learn, not so much learn from books only but learn things I had no opportunity to learn elsewhere.  Thank fully I work during the day and go to class in the evening with students whose time is as precious as mine. One of my lecturers started treating us as though we were in nursery school, no phones on your desk, no talking to each other in class, no writing anything outside what he taught in the exam, now this is where I couldn’t take it anymore! How does he expect us to work the whole day then spend the rest of the time cramming his notes? The reason why I chose a private university was to get quality learning.

This became clear after our first assignment, for which he gave no guidelines and expected a specific type of answer; no more no less. I cannot understand this type of backward thinking; this lecturer thinks all the students in the school are over privileged spoilt brats, little does he know I waited 10 years to get my education because I couldn’t afford it. I am only blessed now to work for a company
 that can pay part of my fees.

I am terribly disappointed that in this day and age someone still wants me to cram a text book and not learn out of it. I tried to reason with him a few times and it did not change anything. I will not stop, I will still try to pass my point across, even if I will not benefit from it, someone else will.

645287

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel this article. I expected much 'better' treatment than I got when I did my undergrad. It was almost like an extension of high school sometimes

    ReplyDelete